3 B2B e-Commerce Trends to Watch Out for in 2018
In the United States, e-Commerce has a growing importance for all companies. Nowadays, e-commerce represents 10% of the retail in the U.S. and influences more than 1 in 2 in-store purchases. Considering the fact that, in 2017, B2B clients made more than 50% of their purchases online, 2018 should see a definite increase of these numbers.
Now, let’s have a look at the successful B2B e-Commerce trends of 2018. The ones that will thrive and improve our buying experience.
1. Mobile vs. Desktop. The Gap Keeps on Growing.
Mary Meeker, an analyst at Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers said, back in 2008 “Mobile to overtake fixed Internet access by 2014”. At the time, everyone thought it was a very bold prediction because no one believed mobile devices would make such a buzz and see such a growth in usage.
In the first months of 2018, according to StatCounter mobile traffic had a share of approximately 52% ofthe total internet traffic.
*Desktop vs. Mobile Infographic*
Considering the fact that people want more flexibility, they want to make a purchase fast and easy, in 2018, this share is going to increase. By how much? This year’s first months saw a 2% increase of the mobile traffic volume and by the end of 2018 is expected to be of around 7 to 8 percent, similar to 2017 vs. 2016.
2. Artificial Intelligence in e-Commerce
No, Sophia won’t ask you what product would you like to buy. This is not what we are referring to. We are talking about smart shops. Here are a few elements of artificial intelligence that will see an increase in usage in 2018.
- ChatBots- According to Donna Grey, Essay Geeks’ Customer Service Representative “Chatbots will ease the customer service process. Basically, the chatbot will answer clients’ generalistic questions. The customer representative’s workload will decrease and the quality of his work will increase.”
- Client Relationship Manager- CRMs are all about managing your clients. In 2018 we’ll be the witnesses of CRM revolution. A.I. will help the business owner define every client. They will be able to better identify its needs by overviewing their behavior during their contact with the company.
- Stock Management- It’s very important never to run out of stock. At the same time, you shouldn’t have unsold stocks. That’s why by reviewing past trends in the market A.I. can make a firm prediction about the size of the stocks you should have for every product you sell.
3. Augmented Reality will Have a Higher Influence on Buying Decision
Think about trying to find a product for your company and being able to visualize it before you even buy it. For example, you want to make a new banner for your company and place it in a high-traffic area.
You receive a sample from the company you want to buy, but it’s not a physical one, it’s a digital one. You receive an augmented reality filter, open it with your phone’s camera, follow the instructions(e.g. “Stay 10 feet away from the place you want to place your banner.”) and you get a visualization of your next banner. Wouldn’t that change your perspective regarding the banner? Wouldn’t it influence your buying decision?
E-Commerce, generally speaking, has become an important aspect of any company out there. Its share in companies’ profits has increased constantly. Talking about the B2B e-Commerce, in 2018, the most important trends in the business will be mobile devices, augmented reality, and artificial intelligence.
If you think about redesigning your company’s e-commerce practices or you think about implementing them from scratch, you should keep them in mind.